[Baruwa] Postfix integration ideas

Mohammed Alli

Andrew,

I want to suggest a simple way of managing domains/transports and recipients for use with both Baruwa and Postfix.  It struck me this morning that those features are already part of Baruwa, well with the exception of relay recipients.

Basically, to do this, an admin would setup domains and one transport for each, then a defined query would be used with postfix to pull those results out of the Baruwa db, making it unnecessary to even touch the postfix setup files.

I’ll give it a shot and report back with my results.  But I don’t see any reasons why it wouldn’t work, since the db stores the info already.

Re: [Baruwa] Postfix integration ideas

Andrew Colin Kissa
Administrator

On 26 Aug 2010, at 10:47 PM, Mohammed Alli wrote:

> It struck me this morning that those features are already part of Baruwa, well with the exception of relay recipients.

You could use the user accounts and associated email addresses, if you want to check recipients prior to accepting
the mail, but this will mean you have to add all your users to baruwa in advance.

--
JAVA - write once, crawl anywhere.

Re: [Baruwa] Postfix integration ideas

Mohammed Alli
That's is correct.  An admin can definitely do that, but that is a lot of work.  The simplest solution is to use the generic @domain.com as the relay entry, to allow all recipients for those domains.  The only drawback is even if the user doesn't exist, that email will hit the receiving MTA.  I'm lucky I don't deal with tons of users, so I've created an sql dump for easy importing.

I would like Baruwa to have an easy to use page made specifically to list relay_recipients on a per-domain basis that is available to admins and domain admins.  This should have functionality of letting admins add/remove relay_recipients or if global (@domain.com).  I don't know if this is something that would make sense though, let me know what you feel about it.

Rocky

On 26 Aug 2010, at 10:47 PM, Mohammed Alli wrote:

> It struck me this morning that those features are already part of Baruwa, well with the exception of relay recipients.

You could use the user accounts and associated email addresses, if you want to check recipients prior to accepting
the mail, but this will mean you have to add all your users to baruwa in advance.

--
JAVA - write once, crawl anywhere.

believed to be clean.

winmail.dat (4K) Download Attachment

This is already catered for you can just pull the domain name from the DB and prepend the @ sign to it.

>  The only drawback is even if the user doesn't exist, that email will hit the receiving MTA.

Thats correct but there are other mechanisms to check user existence on the final destination server like milter look ahead, or LDAP lookups

> I'm lucky I don't deal with tons of users, so I've created an sql dump for easy importing.

You really do not have to maintain two lists of users, the MTA already has that info so the gateway should just look it up.

> I would like Baruwa to have an easy to use page made specifically to list relay_recipients on a per-domain basis that is available to admins and domain admins.

This is already possible as the recipients are the user accounts on the system, In a SAAS environment it would not be practical to maintain lists of actual accounts, that is why there is the external authentication and forward lookup mechanisms that can be used.

> This should have functionality of letting admins add/remove relay_recipients or if global (@domain.com).

All this can be managed on the destination systems and have your gateway look that up, the globals can be pulled from the DB as described above.

>  I don't know if this is something that would make sense though, let me know what you feel about it.

The project aims is to be able to drop in a gateway with very little admin overhead.

--
JAVA - write once, crawl anywhere.

Re: [Baruwa] Postfix integration ideas

Mohammed Alli
I have to look into LDAP and milter look ahead.  I don't know much about them, but they sound like the perfect solution.

winmail.dat (5K) Download Attachment

On 27 Aug 2010, at 2:16 PM, Mohammed Alli wrote:

> I have to look into LDAP and milter look ahead

Seems milter-ahead is not free any more, an alternative is
smf-sav milter http://smfs.sourceforge.net/smf-sav.html

--
JAVA - write once, crawl anywhere.